Author Topic: player models  (Read 81598 times)

Offline thunder

• Founder of TWT
  • TWT Admin
  • ET FOREVER AND EVER
  • I'm an engineer, lets just asume I'm right...
    • View Profile
player models
« on: September 16, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »
@DimitriZer0 have joined forces with us and are gonna help me on skins to players.

so DimitriZer0 here is a overview of jacket skin:
overview.png
*overview.png (13.67 kB . 1024x1024 - viewed 171 times)

and I will email you the uv's of it and the rest of parts, please keep us posted here in this thread on how things are going

Offline thunder

• Founder of TWT
  • TWT Admin
  • ET FOREVER AND EVER
    • View Profile
Re: player models
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »
also made a repo for this big job : https://github.com/thunderpwn/ETL_players

Offline DimitriZer0

• TWT Member
  • Regular forum rampager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 09:33:03 AM »
Sounds good. I'll be checking my email, and browse though the github you set up to familiarize myself with it a bit.

Researching for Allied units of WWII, I've found two units so far that fit the bill for fighting in multiple theaters of the Western Front (North Africa, Mediterranean, Europe) which will coincide with the majority of ET maps. This will allow for slight deviation from the original ET uniforms, while still being historically accurate.

-- 1st Canadian Infantry Division
---- Mediterranean, and Europe

-- II Corps (Polish)
---- North Africa, Mediterranean , Europe

Both units served aside British and American troops, so wouldn't be out of place to see them together in battle.

I'll be looking for more Allied units shortly. If there are 5 uniform sets, to reflect the 5 classes in the game, just need one more unit to fill slot 5. (1 U.S., 2 Canadian, 3 British, 4 Polish, 5 ?)

Still have colonial units  (i.e. New Zealand, India), government-in-exile units (ie. the low countries, free french etc..), and Scandinavian units to research.

** Just found a unit of the Free French, the tirailleurs sénégalais, who also fit the bill, and will allow for a little ethnic variation in-game.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:50:02 AM by DimitriZer0 »

Offline kemon

• Adicted Wolfteam user
    • View Profile
    • modDB
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
Your ambitions sound really promising. I like the idea of having several different nations to choose from for each side.
I'll just give you my thoughts on which nations might be nice to have, but naturally since you are the one doing the work, it will be you who decides in the end.

For example in the North Africa Campaign the British Africa Corps would fit perfectly for Goldrush and Siwa Oasis. For Seawall Battery I think the US Army is a good choice. On the German side I would also say German Afrika Korps for Goldrush and Siwa Oasis and for Seawall Battery maybe the 'standard' Heer.

For the Central Europe Campaign, we can look for a bit more variety in my opinion.
For Fueldump on the German side would fit the Winter camouflage or the 'Gebirgsjaeger'. For this map I tend a bit more to the Gebirgsjaeger, because Fueldump is supposed to be set in the mountains. For Allies I think the British Airborne division would fit nicely, because the tank that is being used (Churchill AVRE) is actually a British one.

For Wurzburg Radar I would be in favour of US Airborne vs German Eichenlaub (Autumn) camouflage.

And the German winter camouflage vs the US Army would suit Railgun nicely I think.

IF/when Bergen is ready, the German Gebirgsjaeger or maybe the [urlhttp://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/imagesfh2/armies/Waffen%20SS/big.jpg]Waffen SS[/url] would fit for the German side, as Bergen is an important strategic point and both of these units have a higher elite skill than the regular Heer. For the Allied side I suggest to reuse the US Airborne Division.

So much to my thoughts, maybe you find some of them useful, maybe not.

Cheers

Offline DimitriZer0

• TWT Member
  • Regular forum rampager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
You bring up an issue that I wasn't sure about bringing up in my earlier post; I noticed that the file structure puts the player models and skins in a folder titled TEMPERATE.

Now this hints to me that the developers of the original ET had in mind to load different uniforms for different climates, i.e. temperate, snow, desert.

So my question is: does the Legacy code support that when maps are loaded, a particular climate uniform set (specific to that map) can be loaded?

I am more than happy to make a variety of uniforms for differing climates and/or military units, but don't want to spend all that time on something that wouldn't be able to be capitalized upon by Legacy in standard game-play.

I like desert and winter specific as well, and it only took me about a few weeks each after initial research to do 8th Afrika (Afrika Korp and British 8th Army troops) and Winter Resistance (French Resistance and Wehrmacht in winter camo) for ET.

If the coders could give us an idea on this subject that would be much appreciated.

@kemon I love your idea. Variety is the spice of life! (nice catch on the Churchill btw, WOT player?)

Offline Teuthis

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 08:24:53 PM »
Welcome to the family dude. I agree that different skins and uniforms add value to the game. Key is that each party clearly seperates from each other. Not nice if people shoot themselves because it's too hard to distinguish the teams.
Life is a shitty game but the graphic is awesome

Offline DimitriZer0

• TWT Member
  • Regular forum rampager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 05:31:10 AM »
" Key is that each party clearly seperates from each other." which is exactly why I won't be using M1942 U.S. camo vs 44 Dot Waffen SS camo  lol.

Too much friendly fire ----> http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=65332

Offline thunder

• Founder of TWT
  • TWT Admin
  • ET FOREVER AND EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
:) I wouldnt like that with my old eyes.. LOL not DV either or what @Ray ?

Offline kemon

• Adicted Wolfteam user
    • View Profile
    • modDB
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »
You bring up an issue that I wasn't sure about bringing up in my earlier post; I noticed that the file structure puts the player models and skins in a folder titled TEMPERATE.

Now this hints to me that the developers of the original ET had in mind to load different uniforms for different climates, i.e. temperate, snow, desert.

So my question is: does the Legacy code support that when maps are loaded, a particular climate uniform set (specific to that map) can be loaded?

I am more than happy to make a variety of uniforms for differing climates and/or military units, but don't want to spend all that time on something that wouldn't be able to be capitalized upon by Legacy in standard game-play.

I like desert and winter specific as well, and it only took me about a few weeks each after initial research to do 8th Afrika (Afrika Korp and British 8th Army troops) and Winter Resistance (French Resistance and Wehrmacht in winter camo) for ET.

If the coders could give us an idea on this subject that would be much appreciated.

@kemon I love your idea. Variety is the spice of life! (nice catch on the Churchill btw, WOT player?)

It is incredibly likely that W:ET was supposed to contain different camouflage skins or even models, yes. The game was never completely finished and was released as an abandoned project. There even was an unfinished map that never was released, however you see traces of it on some occasions within the pak0 files.

Regarding your question: No, ET: Legacy code does not support this at the current point in time. Until now there was no need to write the code for it, because it was unsure whether we ever come in need of it. Generally speaking this is absolutely no issue at all. Already vanilla ET can achieve this to a certain extend with remapshaders. If you really have diffferent player models for different settings etc, it is absolutely no problem to add the code. I had a talk to the other devs and they assured me that this is no complicated feature at all and the only reason it is not yet there, is because we haven't needed it until now.

The basis has already been created 3 years ago in this ticket. In short, YES, ET: Legacy code has the potential to support loading different textures and models depending on the setting of a map.

Just curious, what are WOT players?
(nice catch on the Churchill btw, WOT player?)

Cheers

Offline DimitriZer0

• TWT Member
  • Regular forum rampager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 11:38:51 AM »
Thats great news. and WOT is World of Tanks lol. pretty much every tank ever made up until the 1960s is in the game.

great for slow computers or those with limited bandwidth.

Very excited to make different uniform sets, and I will do further research now.

@thunder, started piecing together a  set of fabrics and patches. before i go into hard core though, can you identify in your UV maps where existing modeled pockets, collars, and cuffs are? The white on black version you sent me doesn't illustrate separations of sections, and without seeing the player model wrapped in the new TGA, I wont be able to make the minute adjustments of moving a pocket an inch or so, left or right etc..

Also I think arm patches are going to be an issue with the current layout of the UV because the seam of the uv (front and back of shirt) is going right down the middle of the arm, which means when the uv is wrapped on the model and rendered, the patches / arm bands are going to be split in half, and one half may appear a few mm or a cm higher or lower than the other half. I think this is why the ET model had the arm mesh separate from the front and back of the shirt.

I will go to work with what i have now, using the colored version of the shirt you posted here (with pockets and collar) as an overlay guide for the shirt, and apply fabric and shadows. Boots shouldn't be an issue.  I can do a mock-up with the pants but need to know also if there are modeled pockets or cuffs on the pants.

Offline thunder

• Founder of TWT
  • TWT Admin
  • ET FOREVER AND EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 02:51:54 PM »
no there is no modelled pockets on pants..

just on jacket:

Offline thunder

• Founder of TWT
  • TWT Admin
  • ET FOREVER AND EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »
the idea btw with the skin @DimitriZer0 was that it should be easy to figure out by clans.. So they can make their tags on the back and stuff like that.. Dont know why but they seems to like stuff like that..
If you dont think it will be ok the way it is, we could try that you made your own uv and I tried to adapt the model to it.. just takes time thats all..
And I am sorry for being a bit late when responding both here and on mail. Just a buzzy time for me both in real life and here on the ET scene..

Offline DimitriZer0

• TWT Member
  • Regular forum rampager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »
Gotcha, I follow.

Did front side of upper uniform mock up. Gonna need you to try it on for size and do some screen grabs so i know where it is warping /disfiguring at.

The cuffs were especially difficult to guess at, and will probably need the most work. anyways, best i fabric i could do at this resolution, (without scaling the fabic texture to a rediculously large grain).

based on 1st canadian infantry uniform (color, material, pockets, epaulettes, and patch).

I'll get you the TGA formatted uniform top UV once i finish the backside. (I will worry about fabric hanging shadows, stains, and wrinkles  after we see how everything fits on a model.)

bd32d937c91fe0aa9caf040151ffa3b5.jpg
*bd32d937c91fe0aa9caf040151ffa3b5.jpg (57.23 kB . 564x752 - viewed 88 times)Initial Mockup.png
*Initial Mockup.png (509.83 kB . 1593x1024 - viewed 90 times)jacket copy.png
*jacket copy.png (311.24 kB . 593x486 - viewed 89 times)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:34:08 PM by DimitriZer0 »

Offline thunder

• Founder of TWT
  • TWT Admin
  • ET FOREVER AND EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 08:57:29 PM »
allready looking good!
you know I could send you the model in whole.. you can download ms3d and use for free to load model.. just cant save without a lisence

Offline DimitriZer0

• TWT Member
  • Regular forum rampager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 06:55:01 AM »
Finally got some time off work, (I work 12's) sorry for the delay. Downloading Milkshape now.

Question: in ET the player models are wearing backpacks, and so they have web gear in texture map.

Are Legacy models going to have backpacks? If so I will overlay web gear.

webgear.jpg
*webgear.jpg (15.57 kB . 277x320 - viewed 73 times)us_gear_infantry_webgear_set.jpg
*us_gear_infantry_webgear_set.jpg (84.03 kB . 799x572 - viewed 78 times)

Who's Online